Programs at the undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral levels in sports management.
This job has been viewed 334 times.
Coach - Head
Job Title: Softball Coach for HNU Athletics
Organization: Holy Names University
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Location: Oakland, California, United States
Visa Sponsorship: Company will not provide international visa sponsorship
||Holy Names University
Softball Coach for HNU Athletics
Student Affairs & Enrollment Management
Founded in 1868, Holy Names University is one of Oakland’s first institutions, the oldest Catholic University in the East Bay, and one of the most diverse universities in the United States. A coeducational, liberal arts institution of nearly 1,400 total students, HNU offers the degrees of Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Music, Master of Arts, Master of Business Administration, Master of Education, Master of Music, and Master of Science in Nursing. Holy Names University is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
This position serves as the head softball coach. Reporting directly to the Director of Athletics, this position works closely with colleagues across the University to promote student success through a total educational experience.
Overview of Duties and Responsibilities:
• Supervision and leadership: Provide guidance and direction for staff (graduate assistant) and students assigned for softball.
• Softball: Provide leadership and administrative oversight of all aspects of softball, including; scheduling, arranging practices, planning training routines, etc.
• Coach assigned sport (design and conduct practice sessions, recruit student athletes, develop schedules, attend conference meetings, etc.).
• Implement budgetary guidelines as provided by the university, working closely with the director.
• Implement recruiting and scholarship guidelines as provided by the University, working closely with the director and department of enrollment management. Student-athletes should fit the profile of the student that reflects the mission of the institution.
• Implement sports-information guidelines as provided by the university, working closely with the sports information director, director of athletics, and director of marketing and communications.
• Implement programs developed by the University and HNU Athletics that support the Total Educational Experience for students.
• Implement programs developed by the university that support the academic, personal, and career development of students.
• Ensure compliance with NCAA and Pac West guidelines (i.e., eligibility, postseason participation).
• Establish goals for the four competencies of the program review process:
∞ Academics - player eligibility and graduation rates.
∞ Alignment with Mission - realization of the values, mission, and goals established for Student Affairs and Athletics including support for orientation programs, students’ leadership development, and problem resolution.
∞ Enrollment – recruitment and retention goals.
∞ Competitiveness - conference performance and professional image.
• Attend athletic staff meetings, retreats and meetings, as appropriate.
• Participate and support ongoing efforts associated with the university’s commitment to academic development, student success, civic engagement (social justice and service), and diversity.
• Organize one community service event with the team each term.
• Participate in Division-wide assemblies.
• Consult and use information from professional associations such as the NCAA and Pac West
• The coach is responsible for special tasks assigned by the Director of Athletics. The use of appropriate (e.g., race/ethnicity, gender, sexual; identity; power, privilege) student development theories are necessary.
Other Administrative Duties:
• Administrative duties may include: fundraising, game management, facilities management, athletic department event planning.
• Other administrative duties as assigned.
The successful person in this position seeks intentionally to:
• Organize actions around the mission, vision, and core values (hospitality, social justice, human development, and service) of the university, which involves educating leaders for positive social change.
• Represent Holy Names University through active participation in the NCAA II, Pac West, San Francisco Bay Area athletics community, and professional associations developing partnerships, as necessary and appropriate.
• Align programs and services with the university’s strategic plan, and Hawks 2016, the strategic plan for HNU Athletics.
• Support university efforts to enroll and educate students who fit the qualitative and quantitative profile of the institution.
• Establish operational policies and procedures and make any necessary modifications, based on analysis of operations, demographics, and other research information.
• Participate as necessary and appropriate on University committees.
• Direct, coordinate, and evaluate the activities of personnel, including support staff.
• Apply policies and protocols as appropriate as they pertain to NCAA membership for the University.
• Other duties assigned as necessary and appropriate.
The scope of this position is:
• To develop and use knowledge about athletics and student athletes to enhance the HNU Athletics.
• To use data and knowledge about the sports information and game management to enhanceprograms and services (best practices).
• To analyze and synthesize information that may be used to expand our collective knowledge about HNU Athletics, providing reports as necessary.
• To engage colleagues (e.g., regular reports on HNU Athletics) in ways they can use knowledge to enhance efforts to promote student success.
• A master’s degree is essential for this position.
• Two to three years of coaching experience at the collegiate or high school levels.
• Ability to teach, coach, strategize, and organize.
• Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse population.
• Ability to recruit.
• General competencies for using data and assessment to inform professional decisions, construct reports, communicate strategically, and develop programs.
• Foundational: Skills for relating and communicating with colleagues and students on a day-to-day basis. Skills for using technologies such as the institutional data base, email, and the Internet. Skills for applying knowledge about collegiate athletics to the tactical and practical matters at hand. Skills for understanding higher education, retention, campus life programming, and a mission-oriented organization. Solid writing and other communication skills. Skills for managing prospect and territory management. Skills for the use of social media.
• Functional: Skills related to softball. Skills related to organizational and management practices as they may be applied to the analysis and evaluation of programs, policies and operational needs. Skills related to emergent leadership and mentoring.
• Strategic: Skills for developing one’s own voice/authority for leading and managing within and for an organization. Skills to develop goals and to develop and execute tactical plans to realize goals. Skills to analyze and synthesize problems, develop solutions, and execute, in accordance with defined strategies. Skills to develop and deploy talents.
• Practical: Skills to sustain momentum and team-oriented energies on a regular basis, providing opportunities for others to lead. Solid writing and other communication skills, especially as they pertain to articulating policy, developing policy, and relating to diverse populations of students and colleagues. Skills related to gaining cooperation through discussion and persuasion.
For consideration, applicants should submit the Holy Names University Employment Application. Visit: http://apptrkr.com/388260 to download the Employment Application. After you have downloaded and completed the application, save and/or print the file and include a letter of application, resume, and the names and contact information for three professional references.
• The preferred method for submitting your application materials is via email@example.com
• Applications are currently being accepted and the position is open until filled.
• For additional information about Holy Names University, visit www.hnu.edu
• This position may require a background screen. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a background screen.
Holy Names University, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is committed to excellence through diversity
Softball - Fastpitch Softball
Gender Classification: Female Only
Note: Gender describes the team or individuals being coached, trained, supervised
or taught. It does not refer to the job applicant.
Application Procedure: http://apptrkr.com/388260
|Organization and Contact Information
Holy Names University
Holy Names University
Oakland, California, 94619, United States
Our Low Prices for Job Listings
7 days: $45.00
15 days: $55.00
21 days: $75.00
30 days: $95.00
45 days: $135.00
60 days: $175.00
6 months unlimited postings: $345
1 year unlimited postings: $435
|Grants and Funding
Grants and Funding courtesy of Women's Sports Foundation.
|Sports Destination Network
Saving our clients' two most valuable resources: time and money.